Saturday, June 2, 2012

2. The Pain of Uncomfortable Truth


When I say that we are on the verge of becoming People of the Lie, I don't mean it in a malicious or insulting way.  By that statement, I mean two things. 

First, as humans, we are naturally liars.   Above all, we are programmed to lie to ourselves about things that cause us pain.  This makes us dysfunctional.   The first step to becoming whole is confronting painful truths about ourselves.  Some never do that and spend lives being much less than they could be.  They perpetually find self-congratulatory fault with the universe, society, western civilization, dead white men, their parents, their bosses, their ex-spouses, their children, people of a particular color, gender, or status, corporations, bankers, oil companies, fat-cat bankers, the 1%, the dominant paradigm, God, anybody but themselves. To rephrase Mr. Obama, they cling bitterly to their comfortable delusions with antipathy for the truth that the fault most likely lies not with their stars but with themselves.  This is not helpful.  

Second , I have come to the conclusion that there is something unique about modern liberalism that taps into this natural human propensity to lie in order to avoid pain, ours or someone else's.  However, this well intentioned desire often does damage to people.  Time and again, this desire to eliminate pain has harmed the people it purports to help:  Tragically, the most vulnerable and least among us.  Conversely, I have found that there is something about conservatism that challenges me to embrace uncomfortable truths - most importantly, about myself.  Because of this, although conservatism takes effort, courage, and maturity, it offers me the opportunity to become more as an individual. I would argue that as we teeter on the verge of national bankruptcy... for the first time in recent history, confronting the possibility of national insolvency, it is time to start confronting painful truths.

I came to this conclusion over many years as a consequence of understanding both philosophies and having at different times in my life embraced both philosophies.  As I grew up and gained wisdom, I reflected on the liberal beliefs of my young adulthood, the beliefs espoused by people like Mr. Obama.  I came to the conclusion that once one drilled down beneath abstractions about poverty, capitalism, fundamental fairness, and blood-for-oil, in order to believe what liberals believe, I usually had to believe things that simply weren't true.  In the coming entries, I want to explore such things.  I invite you to contradict me if I am wrong.

Nothing exemplifies this more than those painful and unintentionally embarrassing interviews with members of the Occupy movement.  I don't like watching them because I don't like seeing (probably nice) people make fools of themselves.  It is uncomfortable.  Still, it is instructive.  Typically, these interviews reveal a juxtaposition of sophisticated abstractions straight from Sociology 101 about corporate greed, exploitation, racism and imperialism mixed with a lack of coherence and concrete understanding of those things about which they speak.  Nice and well intentioned though these people might be, they are classic fools in the Socratic sense.  Pumped full of bracing academic knowledge and an impressive vocabulary, they  truly do not know what they do not know, much like Obama himself, and this is dangerous.  I argue it is why we are where we are.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Steve,
As you can imagine, I disagree with some of your thoughts. Interestingly enough, I started as a conservative and have ended up liberal (if we must use these labels that are rarely helpful). Truth is that the current Republican Party is not conservative--to my way of thinking, they violate many of the basic tenents of conservatism. Part of my movement was a growing understanding that many of those who represented themselves as conservative were more about protecting what they had and making sure that everyone's morality mirrored theirs.

I think one of the core discussion points is about the appropriate role of government in our society. I would propose that there is a need for a hand up for some in our country--that the playing field is far less than fair and that my sex life/marriage is none of the government's concern. It should be there to protect our liberties not infringe upon them. Sadly in this world of I've got mine and how can I get more of yours, there does have to be some concern for the greater good. The centralizing of wealth and resources and the deepening gap between the haves and the have nots is putting us on a road that will not be good for the next generation.

As a fellow Catholic Christian many of these issues to me are about justice, an understanding of our responsibilities as Christians and dare I say it a need to think of it in WWJD terms.

I agree that we all have to be careful not to lie to ourselves about our motivations and whether or not our work is truly helpful and with that I believe that a hand up is typically far more helpful than a handout though there may be times where that handout is appropriate.

Ultimately, in these times neither side has the answers, I believe it is only in listening to one another and truly working for the common good that any of our larger issues can be solved. So thanks for listening and let's keep the dialogue going.

Stephen C. Howell said...

Thanks for keeping me honest, Steph! :)

Richard (Dick) Messina said...

Steve,

First, let me say that I really enjoyed meeting you, though under unfortunate circumstances. I left that gathering saying to my wife that you seem like someone that I would really like to get to know better. (But then, what do I know? I voted for Obama. LOL)

I'll have to thank my mother for sending me this link to your blog. She sends me lots of emails where the content is basically "Obama and all Democrats bad, Republicans good." (Most of the content she sends is not nearly as thoughtful as this...) And I'm sure that I'll never change her opinion, but I love her anyway.

I would love to carry on this discussion, and I can tell that you are not one of the "hard-liners." To get to the point, what Stephanie said here is pretty much my point of view. I, also, started off as a Reptile-ublican (sorry) but I got off that band wagon around elementary school. At a very early age I couldn't add up what I was learning about Jesus in Sunday school, and certain attitudes that were being professed by those who claimed to be "Christians." I'm no genius, but I can add!! One plus one does not equal three!! And don't tell me that I must "believe" and then turn around and tell me to say and do and think something pretty much the opposite of what Jesus said. That conflict was where I pretty much decided to quit "believing" anything that others told me to think. I must think critically for myself, admittedly I'm again no genius.

Anyway, as Stephanie says, neither side has all the answers, but one thing's for sure. This ever-widening gap between the uber-rich and the middle class is not healthy for our economic system ... But (as we become ever more desperate as circumstances worsen) just maybe it will lead more of us to seek answers with God (I don't mean what religious zealots tell us to think about God- I'm talking about true spiritual seeking of truth), and the unknown ... since the world we see looks like a huge ship heading toward an iceberg in the dark ...

I'll leave it at that for now. Perhaps we can have an "in-person" discussion one of these days. As previously mentioned, I can tell that you are someone that I would like to know better.

Peace, out.

Stephen C. Howell said...

Hi Dick,
Thanks for taking the time to respond and the thoughtful comments!
Stephen